This is a place where users can opt in to be pinged by other users regardless of their chat status.
What sort of pings is this for?
Try to keep the ping related to P.SE . Some example uses of this would be to
- Ask a specific user for help on one of your question/answers. Try to wait for the rest of the community, only use this if you have gotten no response.
- Let a specific user know that they might enjoy answering
- Let a specific user know about an unanswered question within their specialization
- Notify a user for SE-related miscellaneous stuff.
If you would like to render yourself pingable
- Post an answer to this question, indicating your specialties (if any). You may also list which types of questions you prefer to answer.
- Other stuff you can do to help: Keep your specialties in your profile text (preferably so that they show up on your expanded usercard). Do the same for your chat profile. Also, try to stay logged in to chat.
If you would like to ping a user
First, check if that user is on chat. Start typing their username in chat, and if it pops up, then notify them there. It's always preferable to use chat for such notifications. If the user is not on chat, just comment on their post below with your message.
Try to delete the comment once you have recieved indication that the user has seen it.