This question was asked recently. @dmckee and I both noted that it might work on chem.SE as well as here. I then stared reading through the physical-chemistry tag, found a few questions, including this one, which were (appropriately) closed as off topic. So I'm wondering, is there a good way to port these over there? I can't find a flag that I can use. Is there a good way to ping the user who asked the question? Is it acceptable for me to simply copy the question and ask it at Chem.SE if I understand it well enough?

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Btw, migration of old questions with votes/etc to beta sites is discouraged. We may not accept a perfectly reasonable chem question for migration if it has too many votes/etc. But no problem in bringing them up for mod consideration :) $\endgroup$ Jul 12, 2012 at 5:02
  • $\begingroup$ As a note, we can ask for an official migration route (i.e. Chem.SE appearing in close as off-topic menu) when Chem.SE will graduate. $\endgroup$
    – user68
    Jul 15, 2012 at 17:08

1 Answer 1


The general way to get a question migrated is to flag for moderator attention or bring it up on meta. Migration is subject to some customary limits

  • We won't migrate without approval of the mods on the remove site unless we know that site very well.

  • In the case of a beta site we also rarely migrate open questions without the positive say-so of the OP.

Coping a closed question to a better site is not a problem, but migration is better insofar as it leaves a trail of breadcrumbs.

In the case of 24817, I'll ask the Chem mods.

One of the Chem mod says

Just a note, we don't exactly include chemE

but still accepted it for migration. Done.


You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .