After visiting a question I had posted on this site a few months back, I had noticed something strange with this site.

In the bottom right corner appeared a black rectangle (respecting the general design of the site), that said "Chat with an expert".

I opened it up out of curiosity, and connected with the "expert" itself: just as I had expected, it was a bot.

What was exactly going on?

Wild guess: is Stackoverflow at it again? (As in, doing some tests with various AI algorithms, which had already happened before.)


1 Answer 1


This is a bot based on ELIZA, as an April Fools' Day joke:

What is "chat with an expert"?

  • $\begingroup$ Oh snap, damn it $\endgroup$
    – jcora
    Commented Apr 1, 2013 at 15:46
  • $\begingroup$ One more thing: I can notice that in all other SE sites without logging into any <-- which is somewhat sheepish. BTW, Someone have totally changed their name ;-) $\endgroup$ Commented Apr 2, 2013 at 7:08
  • $\begingroup$ @CrazyBuddy: Me? That was just temporary (and only on Physics), though I might permanently switch to muon later. $\endgroup$ Commented Apr 2, 2013 at 7:09
  • $\begingroup$ Yeah.. I noticed it. Muon is cool. (A fast reply though) ;-) $\endgroup$ Commented Apr 2, 2013 at 7:10

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .