As I was casually going through the list of tags, I noticed several whose pluralization stood out as... off. It seems to me that for non-unique things (so I'm excluding sun, earth, etc.) that are not mass nouns (i.e. concepts, like energy or even simulation), the plural form of the word should be used. By and large this is the case already, but there are a few sore thumbs I suggest replacing. In particular, I suggest the replacements
- asteroid → asteroids (cf. meteoroids, meteors, meteorites);
- exoplanet → exoplanets (cf. planets);
- nebula → nebulae (it's not like we live in "the Nebula");
- star → stars (cf. planets, neutron-stars);
- x-ray → x-rays (cf. gamma-rays, microwaves).
This last one could be interpreted as an adjective and thus correct as-is, but the examples show we are being inconsistent at the moment.
On the flip side, there is one that seems unnecessarily pluralized. I suggest
So (1) should these changes be made? If so, (2) should they be implemented via tag creation/synonymization, or can a mod just silently rename the tags?