My name is pronounced in English "Salina" - the Greek spelling reflects my lifelong affinity with our sublimely beautiful Moon - and i am a multicellular squidgy female organism working as a researcher for the Deutschen Zentrum für Luft- und Raumfahrt, based in Berlin with professional links to an Australian Developer of precision, autonomous spectroscopes designed to bring spectroscopy out of the specialist laboratory into the hands of any intelligent farmer. Current rates of biosphere liquidation foretold by, amongst others, the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization show that we desperately need to minimize our impact on our arable soils, and that is why i turn my theoretical mind - originally trained in quite a different background - to my main professional interest of spectroscope development - with the particular aims of extreme miniaturization, ruggedization and usage simplification for the user without loss of spectral resolution, throughput (maximum étendue) and precision.
As a physicist i am primarily a theoretician, but also skilled at experimental design as well as the practical manufacture of optical systems. As a theoretician, I am interested mainly in Geometry (GTR in physics) and Topology, have a particular bent for Lie Theory, and am exploring Epistemology in Science. I am also interested in education, particularly of the very young, and in the defense of their future: the Chief Scientist of the land of my birth (Australia) - one of the few wise people there - has pointed described humanity as losing the battle against global warming.
My current profile picture is of Glinda, the Witch of the South, reading her Great Book of Records, as conceived by L. Frank Baum. Isn't she adorable? She can track every event in the World through this book from the moment it happens - a thoroughly Laplacian idea. I find this strangely potentially apposite to modern physics - perhaps Einselection and other similar ideas broadly classed under the "Decoherence Programme" can explain the measurement problem as emerging from an utterly unitarily evolving quantum state of the Universe, leading to a description of the World that is, ultimately, uncannily Laplacian. See this lovely explanation by one of our site's best contributing users, Daniel Sank.
Member for 7 years, 1 month
61 profile views
Last seen Jan 22 at 7:39
- Physics 80.5k 80.5k 77 gold badges158158 silver badges333333 bronze badges
- Mathematics 2.3k 2.3k 1515 silver badges1818 bronze badges
- MathOverflow 991 991 1212 silver badges2121 bronze badges
- Space Exploration 821 821 77 silver badges1313 bronze badges
- Biology 497 497 22 silver badges88 bronze badges
- View network profile
Top network posts
- 130 If we had a "perfectly efficient" computer and all the energy in the Milky-way available, what number could it count to?
- 125 What really allows airplanes to fly?
- 91 Why don't helicopters use reaction wheels to counter the main rotor?
- 81 How does light speed up after coming out of a glass slab?
- 78 Is there a way for an astronaut to rotate?
- 73 If the speed of light is constant, why can't it escape a black hole?
- 56 Why exactly do atomic bombs explode?
- View more network posts →