I'm a pure mathematician with a career focused on bridging the gap between math research and education. As the Director of Hypothesis in NYC, I teach, design lessons, create games, and conduct research with accessibility in mind.
I've written and taught courses for Columbia University SPS, Bridge to Enter Advanced Mathematics, and Johns Hopkins Center for Talented Youth. Other prior outreach work: Chief of Math at MoMath, Quantitative Reasoning Fellow at Bronx Community College, adjunct math lecturer at Hunter College, math tutor at the Dolciani Mathematics Learning Center. Before my math career I was an independent artist.
My math specialization is the applications of algebraic number theory to geometric topology, especially creating new tools for studying manifolds and orbifolds using quaternion algebras. I received my PhD from the CUNY Graduate Center as a student of Abhijit Champanerkar, then was a postdoctoral researcher at the UNAM Instituto de Matemáticas, Unidad Cuernavaca, Mexico, where I worked under Alberto Verjovsky. My research publications thus far can be found here: https://arxiv.org/a/quinn_j_2.html
New York, NY
Member for 5 years, 8 months
2 profile views
Last seen Jan 26 at 21:02
- Mathematics 3.1k 3.1k 1515 silver badges2626 bronze badges
- MathOverflow 2.3k 2.3k 1212 silver badges2727 bronze badges
- Academia 2k 2k 1313 silver badges2121 bronze badges
- TeX - LaTeX 643 643 88 silver badges1515 bronze badges
- Mathematics Educators 427 427 22 silver badges99 bronze badges
- View network profile
Top network posts
- 68 How does it affect the treatment of a mathematician's results, if that mathematician was a Nazi?
- 44 Is it possible to have two triangles with equal sides but with different angles?
- 40 Is there such thing as a "3-dimensional surface"?
- 38 How should one interpret a requirement that a proposal in pure math be "jargon-free?"
- 35 How secure is a post doc job offer in an email from the department chair prior to receiving the official written letter?
- 23 history of quaternion algebras
- 22 Is there a database somewhere for sharing translations of mathematical works?
- View more network posts →